The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) conference met virtually at the end of May, a growing trend with medical and scientific conference organizers to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
In a Nature News article, participants in a number of online conferences discussed their experiences with these virtual gatherings. MSK graduate student Emily Costa commented that the online format made asking questions less intimidating, especially for new researchers, and led to higher quality engagement. Many believe that even after the pandemic ends, conferences will retain more online components.
The online-only format of ASCO’s 2020 conference did not hinder the presentation of advances in cancer research. Here are some highlights from MSK researchers, from MSK’s News & Information team:
- ASCO 2020: First National-Scale Study on the Impact of Medicaid Expansion on Cancer Mortality Rates Highlighted in Press Program
- ASCO 2020: Advances in the Treatment of Small-Cell Lung Cancer
- ASCO 2020: First Comprehensive Assessment Highlights the Importance of Germline Analysis in Advanced-Cancer Patients
- ASCO 2020: Using Acupuncture to Treat Pain in Cancer Survivors
- ASCO 2020: Targeted Treatment Shows Promise in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer